The Hunt for the World's Best Burger

Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Camel, London - Friday 24th Feb (Lunch)


The Venue

The Camel is a smallish pub in Lower Marsh Street, not far from Waterloo Station, London.

First visit to this pub and what a great find. Great staff, table service and Kronenbourg on tap - ticks all my boxes. Not too busy for a Friday lunchtime either which was another plus. Music was a mix of Australasian hits, most of which I had never heard before - an interesting soundtrack.


The Menu

Quite a small menu but some interesting stuff on there. For a moment I was tempted by Ostrich steak but I got 'the calling'. The blackboard outside the pub mentioned their burgers were 'huge' - there was only one choice really...it had to be the burger.


The Burger

I am pleased to report that it was a beauty! - this is my first report after all - would have been a shame to start with a bad one.

Well, they were not joking when they said it was huge - it really was. Nice fresh bread, cheese, bacon and some salad (all came as standard) topped off with some tomato relish. Always like relish rather than ketchup if it is available so this scored points immediately. There was also a huge side order of potato wedges and a sweet chilli dip (another favourite of mine) - I couldn't believe my luck!

I always worry if I am not asked how I would like my burger cooked (I opt for medium if asked) and I wasnt asked this in the Camel. However, any fears I might have had were quickly put to rest - it was well cooked alright, but not overdone - still quite moist. Taste-wise it was pretty full flavoured but not too rich.

I pleased to report there was no post burger 'bite back' which can happen when eating burgers with a beer on the go, so all in all a very pleasant experience.

Would I order it again? YES

Burger Hunt Quality Rating: 7/10


Conclusion

The Camel certainly delivered. A huge, well cooked, tasty burger in nice surroundings. Have to deduct a few points for not being asked how I wanted it cooked but hey, let's not dwell on it. I'll be going back.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:30 AM, Blogger Oh Simone said…

    Reccommendation #1: I've tried a good many, and the finest burger in North London may well be at the Lock Tavern, Chalk Farm Road, Camden Town. Doooo it.

     
  • At 6:24 AM, Blogger Nathaniel said…

    The best burger in london may well be Hache in Camden. But try The Arkansas Cafe (Spitalfields market),
    Black and Blue (Gloucester Road) and even Bill Wyman's Sticky Fingers. But frankly, you need to go to New York. Quickly. JG Melon's (best overall), Corner Bistro (great NY institution), Pastis (a burger Balthazar), Fanelli's (best bun and lovely old soho joint)...the list goes on. Enjoy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home